Exercise Science Accreditation
Accredited Exercise Scientist (AES) accreditation is available to:
- Graduates of an ESSA-accredited bachelor's degree in exercise and sports science
- Graduates of a non-ESSA accredited* bachelor's degree within the exercise and sports science field
*Other acceptable non accredited degrees may include Australian and international degrees in:
- Applied Science, human movement science
- Physical education
Applicants applying via the non-accredited course pathway must demonstrate that their course and practical experience meets ESSA's Exercise Science Standards, including 140 hours of practicum.
Unsure if you are eligible? Contact us at [email protected] with a copy of your transcript.
If you are applying to undertake postgraduate study in the near future in order to become an Accredited Exercise Physiologist (AEP) and do not wish to practise as an AES, please refer to the graduate entry assessment section.
How to Apply:
There are two different accreditation pathways depending on whether you undertook an ESSA-accredited or a non-ESSA accredited course. You can find a full list of accredited courses here.
You must provide a certified copy for your ID with your application to ESSA. Examples of acceptable photo ID and instructions on how to certify the copy can be found here.
Certified Photo ID
Please note: ESSA assesses equivalent university study to meet the standards.
ESSA Accredited Course Application
Application Processing Fees:
An application fee of $42 incl GST is payable when your application is received
Non-ESSA Accredited Application
An application fee of $175 incl GST is payable when your application is received
- An additional assessment fee of $55 incl GST may apply if additional evidence is requested
- A maximum of two additional assessments are allowed per application. If you are unable to meet after this your application will be finalised as Not Yet Met.
- If you are unable to supply further evidence your application will be finalised as Not Yet Met
- Additional assessments are processed within 45-60 working days
- All assessment and processing fees are non-refundable
We reserve the right to ask further questions/request for further evidence.
By submitting evidence with your application you are giving ESSA permission to validate the evidence with the relevant third party.
Please note, you will receive an invoice for the accreditation (and membership if option is selected) fee upon approval of your application. Accreditation / membership fees are non-refundable.
* If you are starting out in the exercise and sports science industry and are becoming a full member with ESSA for the first time, you will receive a 25% introductory discount on your first year membership fee.
Please be aware there is no ability to fast track applications.
** If you are working 20 hours or less per week you may be eligible for a part-time discount on the full membership fee. Please contact ESSA at [email protected] for more information. *** Only one of the above discounts applies at one time and fee discounts cannot be applied retrospectively.
*** Membership and accreditation fees are non-refundable.
Additional Resources, Templates and Guides:
Got a question?
The application form provides lots of information on how to complete the application.
If you still have questions or would like guidance with your application, please click the link below to chat with an assessor. You can also contact us at [email protected]
Brief chat (15 minutes) with an assessor
Extended chat (30 minutes) with an assessor