Child and Youth Mental Health
For children and adolescents, mental health conditions such as depression, anxiety and behavioural disorders are among the leading causes of illness and disability. Globally, one in seven 10–19-year-olds experience a mental disorder, accounting for 13% of the global burden of disease in this age group. When it comes to exercise, it is well known and established that regular movement is a protective factor in prevention and management of mental health disorders in adults, as well as playing a role in managing physical health. Whilst there are similarities, it is important to understand the unique role of exercise for children and youth and how as a professional we need to adapt our approach and understanding to ensure we are creating best outcomes for young people and their families.
This is a recording of an ESSA webinar presented on 30 November 2022.
This online activity focuses on the important role of exercise physiology in mental health treatment and recovery and will explore different therapeutic approaches and relevant assessments when engaging these young people in exercise interventions.
Presented by Jade Ellings, AES, AEP
Jade Ellings is an Accredited Exercise Physiologist currently working in Children's Health Queensland Child and Youth Mental Health Service (CHQ CYMHS). She is one of the leading exercise physiologists in this field and has contributed to the growth and development of exercise physiology in CYMHS services across Queensland.
Rates per person
Please see terms & conditions for registration type definitions.
|ESSA Student Member
Access to Online Activity
Your online activity will be available in your ESSA learning profile after purchase. Please click here to access your ESSA learning profile.
Any Accredited Exercise Scientist, Accredited Exercise Physiologist, Accredited Sports Scientist Level 1, Accredited Sports Scientist Level 2 and/or Accredited High Performance Manager.
ESSA CPD Points
Successful completion of an assessment, within 60 days is required to earn applicable CPD Points
Online: After signing into your ESSA profile, select the blue "Register Now" button on the right
Manual Form: click here
International Membership Registration (including BASES, CEPA and SESNZ): click here
* Credit card payment is required with online registration.
* If a tax invoice is required for payment to be made, please use the manual form.
* Upon registering to any ESSA professional development, you automatically agree to our terms & conditions
- All accredited persons, regardless of any professional development completed/ attended must refer to their accreditation’s Scope of Practice/Standards, and only treat/practice within the same.
- ESSA confirms that at the date of release, this professional development meets the requirements of the ESSA Continuing Professional Development Points Guidelines. The information contained in this professional development is of a general nature only, and while every effort and care has been taken to ensure that all representations are accurate as at the date of its release, ESSA accepts no legal liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of any information provided in this professional development.
- ESSA recommends that its members seek appropriate independent professional advice specific to their particular purposes and circumstances (including the provision of medical advice to patients) before relying on it.
- All Professional Development logistics are correct at time of publication. Subject to change at anytime without notice.